The Kiwese take on a classic Chinese breakfast; egg and tomato soup, xīhóngshì jīdàn tāng 西红柿鸡蛋汤 ! An easy, tasty way to kick off the day with eggs, vegetables and warmth.
This recipe serves one person, just double it for two, etc.
- Garlic cloves
- Spring onion
- Vegetable stock or OXO vegetable or chicken stock cube
- Ginger (optional)
- Sichuan Spice chilli oil (optional) (but vital, really!)
Preparation and cooking time: 8 ish minutes ish
- Add chopped garlic and tomatoes to a hot saucepan with cooking oil. Fry till fragrant. (finely grated ginger if you want, too)
- Dissolve an OXO cube in a cup of hot water. Add to the saucepan.
- Add salt. Bring to the boil and down again.
- Beat two eggs in a bowl and slowly pour into the soup while stirring, to create a poached/scrambled texture.
- Add the chopped spinach or whatever greens.
- Immediately serve.
- Top with spring onions and a spoon of Sichuan Spice chilli oil.
- Eat and be merry!
Super easy! The classic Chinese soup does not usually include other vegetables, but if you’ve got ’em why not jazz it up. I’ve used celery, bok choy, sprouts, kale and broccoli (chopped up small for quick cooking) and they’ve all been great.