One year ago, amidst the panoramic plume of grey sky and uncontrollable heating units of Beijing, over a tenuous VPN connection in a dank, cramped dorm room at BLCU, Kiwese was born.
To celebrate this milestone, Kiwese has a prize pack to giveaway to one lucky winner!
This is a bunch of original notes I hacked out while thinking about what I wanted Kiwese to be:
- Rehumanising the way NZ and China interact with each other
- Dodging stereotypes, modernizing perceptions, increasing awareness, avoiding awkward hakas and martial arts displays
- Giving voice to those in the NZ and Chinese communities who are doing awesome shit that no one knows about
- Not specialised towards an ethnic group. For all who are interested in the topic.
- He tangata he tangata he tangata
- Celebrating difference, bonding over similarities, acknowledging the ugly
- Making China a topic for discussion instead of target of judgment. An alternate dialogue to trade/milk/real estate/etc
- Foster the dialogue, enter the lounge
I think there is now a stronger need than ever for more fresh perspectives from China and New Zealand – we need to remind ourselves that New Zealand is not this utopian paradise of photogenic mountains and equality for all, likewise, China is not just a sprawling mass of polluted cities and internet censorship.
I hope that you have all enjoyed the journey so far as much as I have. The New Year holds plans for an updated format to make the site more accessible and shareable with our friends in China.
Thanks to all people who have been a part of this blog so far and to the bands, artists, photographers, poets and spicers for generously contributing their work to this birthday giveaway!
The exxxtremely limited edition (ie. one) prize pack includes:
- x 1 God Bows to Math (AKL) and Pairs (上海) split “7
- x 1 Carb on Carb (AKL) China Tour poster
- x 2 ‘Permanent Vacation’ 1 & 2 zines, stickers and badges from Kerry Ann Lee (WGN)
- x 1 ‘New Kiwi Women Write Their Stories’ poetry collection, edited by Renee Liang (AKL)
- x 1 CD of ‘1984’ by P.K 14 (北京）
- x 1 CD of ‘Mechatronics’ by the All Seeing Hand (WGN)
- x 1 CD of ‘Elephant’ 《象》by the Hormones (成都)
- x 1 CD of ‘Sacrifice Mountain Hills’ by Skip Skip Ben Ben (北京)
- x 1 Jar of X-Claw Chilli Oil & t-shirt from Sichuan Spice (WGN)
- x 1 UP THE PUNKS zine and photograph by John Lake (WGN)
- x 1 signed Flat3 poster (AKL)
- x 1 Nova Heart sticker (北京）
- x 1 I HEART BJ t-shirt
- x 1 Pack of Zhongnanhai 8s
- Stickers from 少城 Shaocheng NUART Festival (成都)
Thanks to the Hormones 荷尔蒙小姐! READ: Not Just a Girl Band: Interview with Ming Ming from the Hormones
Thanks to Brad and Jing at Sichuan Spice! READ: Spice Up Your Life
Thanks, John Lake! READ: Quit Punkin’ Around
Thanks Perlina and the Flat3 crew! READ: Flat3 in the Super City
Thanks Jonny, David and Ben from the All Seeing Hand! READ: High Fiving the All Seeing Hand
To be in to win, simply like Kiwese and share the link on Facebook, then send your name and address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This competition is open to all Kiwese readers!
The lucky winner will be drawn on Monday 5 January and the prizes will be sent from Wellington and Chengdu!
Good luck, happy holidays and thanks for reading.